Wednesday, August 22, 2012

DIY Canvas Photos

We have a very dark house.  We back up to woods so not a lot of natural lights comes in.  We bought it as a foreclosure, so there's a lot of work to do on it.  One of the things we did recently was paint the front entryway a red color called Maine Lobster.  I think it was a Sherwin Williams color.  We love lots of color.  Problem is, it made it look really really dark in the entryway.  Eventually we want to paint the closet doors in there white as well as the trip to help lighten it up.  But in the meantime, I wanted to blow up some photos that were mostly white to help bring color in there.

I like artwork with meaning.  I don't like to just buy stuff from walmart and hang it up.  The upside is all our stuff has a story.  The downside is our walls are pretty bare.  :)

We used two photos that didn't have a high enough resolution to be blown up into a large canvas.  But I could get large prints, so I did that and bought some plain canvas to diy them onto.  I followed the below blog and you can see my outcome.  My one tip: don't rush it, wait for the black paint to dry before you modge podge.  Oops.

http://www.blissfullyeverafter.net/2011/12/diy-photos-on-canvas.html?m=1

 These are the two photos I picked and what they look like aftewards.  You can see the black streaking from not letting the black edging paint dry completely.
My husband says it looks like they're 'messed up', but then when I gave him a look he said that they must be messed up on purpose like you see in stores.  :/  My Dad said they looked good, but then scratched at them, not sure why, totally unnecessary.  So who knows.  Maybe they look horrible and no one has told me.  But in the meantime, we can't afford the large paintings and artwork I like (one photograph I found at hte Plymouth Art in the Park was $1300!  Out of my budget!), so these will stay.

At least until I find something on One Kings Lane or Anthropologie that fits the color scheme.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment