Monday, August 20, 2012

Bumble Bee Birthday Party

For Josephine's first birthday we threw a bee themed party.  Yeah, I know, it's a pretty popular theme, but I thought it was a really cute theme.  Plus we have lots of yellow daffodils and I had already planted yellow petunias so it all just came together perfectly.  At least on the outside!

Check out the photos and highlights below.

 I made a custom order to Power Capes because I saw they had tutus, just not in the color I wanted.  I wanted yellow and black for the bumble bee theme so I contacted them and here it is!  She wasn't too thrilled with it, but it has a draw string for the waste, so I'm hoping to get a few more wears out of it when she's older.
 On the inside in our living room I had cut shapes out with my cricut to make a banner type thing.  But rather than put them all on a ribbon, I just taped them to the window.  I also added photos from her first year on the two adjoining windows.  Theme was more yellow than yellow and black, I think it turned out cuter that way.
 I used the Cricut Create a Critter cartridge and I think for the letters and the flower shapes they're on I used the storybook cartridge. didn't take too long and turned out really cute!
 Instead of collecting gifts, we asked people to donate to the Detroit Area Diaper Bank instead by bringing diapers.  We collected over a thousand!
 The cupcakes were simple.  White cake (I think just plain ol Kroger brand) with lemon frosting and a little sugar bee I bought off etsy.
 So cute!  And pretty cheap.  At first I wanted to do a really cute cake, but I got quoted over $200!  No.
 For the older kids, we had pin the bee on the hive.  I covered a box in plain brown paper.  Cut a hive shape out of brown paper as well and then spray painted it yellow.  I cut out of a ton of those bees in all sorts of colors for kids to pick from and then pin them on.  Whoever got closest to the give entrance would have won.  But I forgot to get it started.  Hey - it was a two hour party and I was busy as a bee!  Bwahaha, pun intended!  :)
On a side note, have you seen One Kings Lane?  I'm completely addicted.  It's a store that carries stuff similar to Anthropologie and maybe even urban Outfitters.  Love it.  Need to stick to my budget though!

No comments:

Post a Comment