Sunday, June 16, 2013

Striped Cat Quilt

One of my very dear friends is expecting a little girl - almost any day now!  She painted the nursery in pink and white stripes with a scene of a carnival.  I kept trying to find a pattern of something carnival-ish that I could incorporate a black cat into, but I couldn't find anything I liked.

So I just scrapped that idea and did a pink and white striped quilt with a cat and bird on it.  Why a cat fascination?  My friend has a black cat I wanted to incorporate into the quilt!

A few of the fabrics I used I found at Joann's, easy enough.  But I couldn't find a pink I like!  I found those at a store in Brighton called Creative Quilt Kits.  The backing is the same fabric as the inner stripe that is off white with brown and pink.

The lighter pink fabric has little squirrels and owls and other animals on it.  The off white fabric around the stripes has little brown birds on it.  that's why I decided to go with the little bird flying away and the shape of the cat.  I found both just by doing a google search for those items.

For the binding, I kind of messed it up.  Oops, I was trying to entertain my two year old while working on it, so it's not perfect, but as long as it stands the test of a small child, that's really all that matters, right?

I use regular cotton fabric, one day I'll try one of these really nice fuzzy fabrics like some of the blankets I see on Zulily that look so soft and comfy!

No comments:

Post a Comment